The Act is designed to provide information to the public about:
* Who is lobbying;
* Who is being lobbied;
* On whose behalf is lobbying being carried out;
* What are the issues involved in the lobbying;
* What is the intended result of the lobbying.
The Act provides for:
* The Standards in Public Office Commission (the Commission) to be the regulator of lobbying;
* The establishment and maintenance of a publicly accessible online Register of Lobbying (the Register). (The Register is available at www.lobbying.ie.);
* Persons carrying on lobbying activities to register and to provide information regularly about their lobbying activities, including, in the case of professional lobbyists, information about their clients;
* The introduction of a “cooling off” period during which lobbying activity may not be carried out by some former DPOs;
* Offences and Penalties for certain contraventions of the Act.